urologyguru
urologyguru, Urologist MD
Experience:  I am fellowship-trained MD Urologist in active practice. I treat all types of cases from genital, cancer, urinary, stone and incontinence.
76620768

I'm a healthy 24 year old never had health issues. Is

Customer Question

I'm a healthy 24 year old never had health issues. Is diarrhea once or twice a year normal? I ate a large seaweed salad Friday night which I read can be a natural laxative in people and had diarrhea after. Stool normal now but has a little visible mucus
in it?
Category: Urology
Expert:  urologyguru replied 1 year ago.
this is normal.
Diarrhea can occur for many reasons. Most commonly from increased fiber in diet (seaweed).
We get worried when there is blood in the stool or if it persists for longer than 2-3 days.
It is common to have mucous as well.
If your stool is normal now, then the mucous is normal and you don't need to worry!
I hope this helps. Please ask any follow up questions you have until you feel satisfied with your answer. Positive ratings are much appreciated!
------------------
This answer is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this answer, urologyguru provides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided here is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. urologyguru is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CALL 911 OR YOUR PHYSICIAN. If you believe you have any other health problem, or if you have any questions regarding your health or a medical condition, you should promptly consult your physician or other healthcare provider. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of an answer here. Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice. You should also ask your physician or other healthcare provider to assist you in interpreting any information on this site, or in applying the information to your individual case.
Medical information changes constantly. Reliance on any information provided from this answer is solely at your own risk.