Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Shah I was concerned I had chlamydia/gonorrhea after hearing

Customer Question

Hi Dr Shah
I was concerned I had chlamydia/gonorrhea after hearing that a previous partner had symptoms. I went to the doctor who prescribed me 1g of azithromycin and carried out a full STI screen. I took the azithromycin that morning however it was suggested that I use urine from the first time I used the bathroom the next morning for my chlamydia/gonorrhea test. Therefore I had already taken the antibiotics 24 hours before I gave my urine sample for testing. I got a negative result for both but is there any chance that the presence of antibiotics hid the existence of chlamydia /gonorrhea and I could still have either?? Thanks for helping
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Would you like me to answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes , there is a definite possibility that the azithromycin wiped out all the infection and that came as a negative test. Ideally the test is done first and then antibiotics are provided.

Do you have any symptoms like discharge or lower abdominal pain?