Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

What causes protein in urine and what do you do ?

Customer Question

What causes protein in urine and what do you do for it?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Protein in the urine can be a sign of kidney damage. This could be due to the virus that you had potentially. If this was a temporary virus, the protein should resolve once the kidney heals.
However, protein in the urine can be due to permanent kidney damage due to problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes. Your doctor should do a follow-up test and 4 to 6 weeks to see if the protein goes away. If it does not, then you may need to be tested for these types of medical problems. Hope this helps.