Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I HAVE A LARGE PROSTATE AND I HAD TURP 3YRS AGO. NOW MY DOCTOR

Customer Question

I HAVE A LARGE PROSTATE AND I HAD TURP 3YRS AGO. NOW MY DOCTOR WANTS TO DO ANOTHER TURP. HE A RAN URODYNAMIC TEST AND SAYS MY PROSTATE NEED TO HAVE A TURP AGAIN. I HAVE A PROBLEM URINATING, CANNOT HAVE AN ERECTION, AND I CANNOT EJAULATE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY WILL REMOVE MY PROSTATE EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOISED WITH CANCER.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HISorry to hear about the situation.Was your urinary stream good after the first turp ?How long since the problem recurred ?Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT WAS FAIR, NOT EXCEPTIONAL AND HE HAS BEEN ABOUT 6 MONTHS SINCE IT HAS REOCURRED.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
There are two or three possibilities here. One is that the prostate has regrown and causing the obstruction. It is little too early for that but there could be exceptions.Second is bladder neck stenosis - this is not prostate regrowth- but scarring of the previously operated area & this causes narrowing of the urine channel.Third is stricture urethra - narrowing of the urinary tube within the penis.One last possibility is hypotonic bladder( failure to pump). But urodynamic study can diagnose it. So this condition is ruled out.All three conditions can be corrected by doing a cystoscopy -seeing inside the bladder and going ahead with the correction at the same time.TURP is done for urinary obstruction & not for cancer. Whole prostate is removed in case of prostate cancer - and it is done by open or laparoscopic method. So TURP is not done for cancer.If you have any questions , please let me know.Dr.Tharun