Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I'm a healthy woman who just had a complete physical with

Customer Question

I'm a healthy woman who just had a complete physical with blood tests including a comprehensive metabolic panel and everything was normal. However I am worried because I am drinking 2 liters a day and yet I don't often have a strong urge to urinate. I
tend to press down on my bladder to see if I have to go and think maybe I've damaged nerves or something. My mother is gravely ill with bladder cancer and her first symptom was a reduced ability to know if she had to pee. And now that I am so aware all the
time of my need (or no need) to urinate, it seems like I don't need to go as often as most other people. Tonight, for instance, I drank two 20 oz bottles of water and have only had to urinate once and not a lot. I will probably go one more time, and not urgently.
My friend drank one bottle and has had to run twice to the bathroom. Could something be wrong with me?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, decreased urge to urinate is not a sign of bladder cancer. This could be due to conditions such as diabetes that could damage the nerve endings to the bladder.
The only way to really figure out what is going on is to see a urologist to do an ultrasound of the bladder to see if you're having problems sending the bladder. This will really determine whether or not you have a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have been tested for diabetes and have actually had a bladder ultrasound. Doctors say I'm fine but I'm concerned about the lack of urge to go most of the time and what seems like low urine output. I know I never paid attention before to fluid input/output before my mother was sick so I don't know if anything has changed. It just seems I don't urinate enough or with very much urgency. I think about it too much, I know, but I can no longer control it.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
F you are emptying your bladder well, then the only thing Li have to worry about is possible dehydration. But if your doctor has not detected any kidney problems or signs of dehydration on lab work, then there is nothing to be concerned about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Creatinine .7, BUN 11, electrolytes and urinalysis normal. Urine Nearly clear. Drinking enough. So I shouldn't worry that it seems like I'm not urinating as much as I am drinking unless bloodwork showed problem with kidneys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be normal to drink 20 oz of water, not be hot or sweaty, but only have to urinate just a little bit even 2 hours later? I never noticed before until my mom's illness but I just don't seem to need to urinate nearly as much as other people and yet all tests are normal.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Your labs are normal. There is nothing to worry about. Yes, it can be normal to drink that much and not have to urinate a whole lot 2 hours later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Y- is it possible to desensitize your bladder to sensations of needing to urinate? I'm so preoccupied with urination at the moment that for months I have been pressing hard on my bladder to check to see if I need to go. It seems now that unless I do that, I can't tell if I need to go. I definitely remember lots of times in the past where I could feel such urgency and maybe I'm just going before I get to that point but sometimes I have to go badly but won't feel it so urgently unless I press on my lower abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Medications such as oxybutynin can help to decrease the need to urinate. You should ask your doctor about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm actually worried that my sensation to urinate isn't sensitive enough anymore and that I may have caused it to happen by pressing on my bladder too much.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No , that is not a possibility.