Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have sand in my urine every time I pee. I have had two UTIs'

Customer Question

I have sand in my urine every time I pee. I have had two UTIs' in the last year, with 7 day courses of antibiotics. Still the sand appear in my urine why, what is it?
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a picture I also get these with no pain, just discomfort every fews day, but have sand all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HIHave you ever been diagnosed with stones ?Have you done any scans?Do you have diabetes ?Any other health issues?please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have diabetes, I had blood work done including kidney function and numbers are normal. No scans. Just HBP that is under control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added a file these are much smaller than they appear in pic did not feel any pain when they came up and mostly just single sand particles tiny each time I pee. Not these each time.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HIThese are stones which you are passing also known as lithuria. It is a good fact that you don't have any pain while passing stones. Usually passing stones are very painful and often requires a visit to ER.You need to do a proper scanning of the kidneys and bladder to know the exact status of the stone load at present. Then only further treatment can be planned. Stones can be a cause for recurrent uti's.The best investigation for stones would be a CT scan of the abdomen.If you have stones in the urinary system then treatment depends on the size and location of the stones. Once the stones are treated attention should be given for prevention of formation of further stones.You need to see your doctor or an urologist to get a request for the scan.If you have any questions , please let me know.Dr.Tharun