Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 28 year old male and I have been diagnosed

Customer Question

I am a 28 year old male and I have been diagnosed with citrobacter koseri 100,000 mg/l in my urine. I have had uti symptoms for 6 weeks but have only just had a urine sample, so I have just started my course of treatment.
The doctor has prescribed me with 500mg of Ciproxin to be taken 1 a day for 5 days. I am worried that this seems like a low dosage. Should it be stronger than this? Most people seem to be on 2 a day for 7-10 days.
I have taken 1 a day for 4 days so far and there is no improvement.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Is your kidney function normal? The dose is adjusted based on your kidney function
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so, although I occassionally have a little pain in my lower back.In the urine culture I had Ketone bodies and a high level of protein.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
In this case, you are correct. If you have normal kidney function, you should be taking Cipro 500 mg twice per day.