Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My husbands PSA test numbers have been consistently high since

Customer Question

My husbands PSA test numbers have been consistently high since his first test 7 years ago. He is 65 yrs. old and in great shape otherwise. He did a prostate biopsis ( 13 pieces) when first test results and all negative. He also did a bone scan and also negative. Now he went for a physical and his numbers are again high. Any suggestions why?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
How large was his prostate on the ultrasound during the biopsy in grams?
Does he have a history of prostatitis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don´t know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don´t have an answer to that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no know history of prostatitis
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
In the absence of prostate cancer, other causes of an elevated PSA include chronic prostatitis as well as a very enlarged benign prostate. Both of these facts can be determined by looking at The results of the prior prostate biopsy. His urologist should have this information. If he has a severely enlarged prostate, that he would most likely benefit from a medication such as pro scar to shrink the prostate and decrease the PSA by 50%. Hope this helps.