Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 26 yr old female. Fairly healthy and stay active.

Customer Question

Hi I am a 26 yr old female. Fairly healthy and stay active. Last week (sunday) I noticed blood in my urine that was pretty distinct. Everytime I urinated with no other uti symptoms. Monday I went to the doctor and she tested my urine and said I had a high white blood cell count. Most likely a uti. She prescribed me bactrim for 3 days while we waited for the culture. By the end of the 3 days I had hardly any blood and was feeling better.
The culture came back not a clean catch. After 24 hrs of not being on antibiotics the blood in urine was back with horrible back pain on my right side. Friday she prescribed me 7 day course of Macrobid. After 4 days of being on the antibiotics I have on and off spotting in my urine depending on how active I am. Occasionally back ache. I still have 2 days left of my antibiotics. If I still have blood in urine by end of antibiotics should I ask for bloodwork and ultrasound or another week of antibiotics. Im nervous to get off antibiotics for that the infection hasnt cleared up. Does this sound more like a kidney infection or something more serious?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Did they ever do a kidney ultrasound or CT scan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they havent yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have insurance at the moment.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This sounds to be very typical of a urinary tract infection that is going to the kidney causing an infection called pyelonephritis. Something serious such as cancer would be extremely rare at your age. That would not be very likely. You need to continue the antibiotics and if you still blood in the urine culture. At some point when you get insurance, you will need to have a CT scan valuation by a urologist to evaluate the source of the bleeding. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. I wish you the best. Please don't forget to leave me a positive rating. Thanks.