Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I just urinated blood. I am 56 years old, no insurance and

Customer Question

I just urinated blood. I am 56 years old, no insurance and very scared. Please help me.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI
Can you mention your gender ?
Do you have any pain while passing urine ?
Do you have abdominal pain?
Do you take any blood thinners ?
Do you smoke ?
History of stone disease ?
Please let me know.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a male, 56 years old. No real pain just an old sensation. No blood thinners. I do not smoke. I have passed one stone 25 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my answer. I am very scared.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi How is the urine flow ?Are there any blood clots ?Do you have hypertension or diabetes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The urine flow was weak this time.
No blood clots, just blood mixed with urine (diluted not bright red) and no clots.
I have no hypertension or diabetes.
Thank you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blood only came out at the very end of the urination.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HiBlood at the end of the urination can be due to urinary infection , bladder stone or growth in the bladder/ kidneys.Infection usually has pain and burning while passing urine. Also there would be fever in some cases. Bladder stone will also cause pain at the end of the urination. Bladder growths are generally painless but seen mostly in smokers. Enlargement of the prostate can also cause bleeding in the urine. This is common in males after the age of 50 yrs. Bleeding from the prostate can be controlled with medications. These conditions has to be confirmed by doing an ultrasound or CT scan of the abdomen. You should see your doctor who can order the appropriate tests.Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice which are protective in such cases.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no insurance. I have no job and can not afford these test. These conditions are not life threatening are they?I have no fever. I have no burning.I am afraid to go to the bathroom. Should I drink a lot of cranberry and just use the bathroom and report back?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Blood in urine has to be checked by a doctor. You should be drinking plenty of water and cranberry juice as they are protective. See your doctor at a convenient time later if the blood disappears. If it persists see a doctor as soon as possible. You can go to government run walk in clinics which would help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor. I urinated about an hour ago and it was all red to pink. I just urinated 5 minutes ago and it was pink to dark yellow. Seems like things are going in the right direction. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and take care.