Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

It started after catheter was placed post hernia surgery 4 days ag

Customer Question

it started after catheter was placed post hernia surgery 4 days ago
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
It is possible the blood may be due to a dramatic catheter placement. If there is dark blood or blood clots or the catheter is not draining, he needs to go to the emergency room to be seen to have the catheter irrigated. The most likely cause of the bleeding is from his prostate. But he will need to follow up with a urologist to look inside the bladder by cystoscopy to confirm this. He will also need a CT scan to evaluate the inside of the bladder as well as the kidneys and ureters for other sources of bleeding. Hope this helps.