Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

7I am a 77 year old female who had the best gynecologists and

Customer Question

7I am a 77 year old female who had the best gynecologists and other doctors, for the past 17 years I use a geriatric doctor at MGH. About 10 years ago or less I was feeling a heaviness in the bladder, I had an x-ray (camera) thru the vagina suggested by my gerintologist. The only mention was that there was nothing to worry about on x-ray. Feeling uncomfortable about it I called my old gynecologist nurse practitioner ( years of nursing at MGH) she suggested that I use Vagifem two times a week that it was a common problem. It worked. After about 7 years of using it eventually one time instead of two times the heaviness is lasting longer. I also developed a slight itch and sore vulva for a few days which seems to be subsiding. My geriatric is prescribing it to me and telling me that I should try using it two times a week to see if the burning vulva and heaviness improves. I have not done that, am wondering if I should see a urologist for a slight incontinence although my doctor said he could prescribe a medication for the incontinence if and when I see fit. I'm confused about how to get comfortable. I am about 25 lbs overweight but not as heavy as before. I take good care of myself but hate the feeling of pressure on my bladder. What is your opinion? I had one child caesarian section 46 years ago at the Brigham & Women's hospital in Boston
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Have you had a pelvic exam by a physician to evaluate for pelvic organ prolapse as the cause of the heaviness?