Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My father was diagnosed with bladder cancer that invaded the

Customer Question

My father was diagnosed with bladder cancer that invaded the bladder muscle in Dec 2014. he had chemo therapy and finished his last round on April 9. how long can he wait for the surgery to remove his bladder?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Ideally, the surgery should be done within 1-2 months after the chemotherapy is completed. But this depends on how healthy is he is after his rounds of chemotherapy. If he is healthy, he should proceed with surgery as soon as possible. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had surgery scheduled June 2 but was postPoned due to pneumonia and he had just completed the antibiotic. We tried to get it rescheduled sooner but this is the earliest date available.He will have another ct scan in a couple weeks and chest x ray and echo and lab work in early July. We pray it doesn't spread he is a smoker and trying to get him to quit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pushing for him to get in sooner if possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not symptomatic for pneumonia and is doing well
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
He must get over the pneumonia before surgery. Continuing to smoke is only going to make his recovery slower. He really needs to be started in a smoking cessation program to maximize his chances for success with surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you You confirmed what the doctor told us. It eases my mind.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I wish him the best. Please do not forget to leave a rating. Thanks!