Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have severe fear of water retention/decreased urine output

Customer Question

I have severe fear of water retention/decreased urine output after my doctor told me that I needed to go to the ER if I wasn't urinating every two hours when I had a transient cardiomyopathy. The cardiomyopathy is resolved, my heart is back to normal but
I worry greatly when I don't urinate for longer than two hours. I definitely have periods when it's several hours. I ended up in the ER and my BNP, kidney and liver function, and urinalysis was totally normal. I'm still frightened and worry so much I made
an appointment with a nephrologist and a urologist but after seeing my test results, both doctors say I don't need to come in and say I'm fine. Is it in any way possible that I have decreased urine output or water retention with my perfect test results? Should
I press for an appointment with the specialists? I am afraid to drink much for fear I won't be able to pass all the liquid. My doctors say this is completely impossible.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, if your labs were completely normal, then there is no need to see your doctor as there is no evidence that you have kidney failure or are dehydrated. You need to trust the doctors who are treating you. It sounds like your anxiety getting the best of you. If you are not on treatment for anxiety, I would recommend you see your doctor to can stare starting something. No, if your labs were completely normal, then there is no need to see your doctor as there is no evidence that you have kidney failure or are dehydrated. You need to trust the doctors who are treating you. It sounds like your anxiety getting the best of you. If you are not on treatment for anxiety, I would recommend you see your doctor to consider starting you on something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** in any case in which there was clinically significant water retention and decreased urine output there would be some evidence in the lab work? I trust my doctors but wanted to consult with the specialists.I am seeking treatment with a therapist for my anxiety disorder.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there would be abnormalities seen in your blood work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would there be a difference depending on what time of day the labs were taken or would there be evidence no matter what time if there was anything wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
There would be evidence no matter the time of day.