Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Anything concrete to reduce prostate calcification? What

Customer Question

Anything concrete to reduce prostate calcification? What would you recomment to a patient with Chronic prostatitis, pelvic pain symptoms for a year, and prostate calcification? Urine tests normal, PSA free 0.442 ng/ml (Europe, norm0.07-0.42) , PSA total 1.51.(normal). Multiple calcification up to 4 mm size. what can be done to reduce calcification? Prostate size and contours normal.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
The only thing that can reduce the prostate calcifications is a surgery called a TURP to remove the prostate tissue containing the stones. This is a surgery that is minimally invasive and involves the use of a cutting telescope. There are not medications that can make the stones go away. This is going to require surgery to get rid of them. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Need an answer which takes into account my overall symptoms which are different from indications for TURP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am quoting Mayo clinic:
"Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is a type of prostate surgery done to relieve moderate to severe urinary symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate, a condition known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)."
I do not have either urinary symptoms or BPH. Your answer is a surgeon' answer to a very localized issue , not an answer to patient taking into account his age and overall symptoms. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The indication you read for the TURP is just one of the indications for performing a TURP. A TURP can be done for many other problems including abscess formation in the prostate and stones in the prostate. You certainly don;t have to have it done if the stones are not causing symptoms. But they are probably the cause of your chronic prostatitis. There is no other option to removing the stones.