dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  I have ten years experienced to handle patients of different specialities inc;uding Urology.
16766337

Good Morning! I am not sure how to proceed since it is the

Customer Question

Good Morning! I am not sure how to proceed since it is the weekend. Here is my question. I just recently finished a long course of antibiotic for a skin infection. I was taking Cipro for 14 days and finished last Saturday and I was taking doxycycline for
20 days which I finished this past Monday. I was taking probiotics at the same time but I think I developed a yeast infection but not 100% sure. I also started my menstrual cycle so it could have been a combination of that. Someone also suggested a UTI but
I didn't think that was possible because I has been on Cipro which treats UTIs. Anyway I decided to purchase the at home AZO uti test strips just to be sure and it did test positive for leukocytes and negative for nitrates. So does this mean I have a UTI?
I dont really have any symptoms or they can be masked with some minor cramping I'm experiencing from the start of my menstrual cycle. How can I get a UTI after being on all that antibiotics? I don't want to take anymore antibiotics right now is there anything
I can do naturally to cure this. I was reading about D-Mannose. Can that help? Why would I develop a UTI after taking such a long course of antibiotics, is that common or should I be worried?
Category: Urology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ...
Presence of Leukocyte in the absence of nitrite is highly unlikely the UTI , Sometime immediate after treating UTI you can have positive Leukocytes which is of no concern , you have no fever so no need to worry at all and no need to take antibiotics , just take lot of fluids , and fresh fruit juices .
Good luck .
Positive feedback will be appreciated .
Thanks .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is different than I read online, which states the presence of leukocytes indicates UTI. Also, the antibiotic I took was NOT originally for the UTI, it was for a skin infection (MRSA). It just so happened that Cipro was the antibiotic I was taking and I know that it also treats UTI's. Also, I have one more kind of crazy question. I started my menstrual cycle about 4 days earlier than expected which is unusual for me. When it first started I though that the bright red blood was actually from my urinary tract and that's why I thought I had a UTI and it wasn't my period. But the flow started to get heavier and I assumed it was my period just early. My question is can I be sure of this? I wouldn't bleed heavily from my urinary tract, right? If there was blood in my urinary tract it would be just when I urinated, not continuously, correct? I just want to make sure this is not something I'm overlooking. Thanks!
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.
This blood is not from urinary tract because blood from urinary tract usually accompanies with Urine , so sometime periods can come early .
Ciprofloxacin covers UTI very well .
Regards .
Positive feedback will be appreciated .
Thanks .