urologyguru
urologyguru, Urologist MD
Experience:  I am fellowship-trained MD Urologist in active practice. I treat all types of cases from genital, cancer, urinary, stone and incontinence.
76620768

Following recurrent pyelonephritis, I recently had a cystoscopy.

Customer Question

Hi
Following recurrent pyelonephritis, I recently had a cystoscopy. It's been found that I have cystitis cystica and my Urologist also said my kidney looked slightly abnormal but that he could find no growths. I have to add that I do not experience the usual UTI symptoms - no burning or pain on urination - no indication of infection until it reaches the kidney which is when I get really ill. Every time I have a urine test there is blood in my urine - whether there is infection or not. (I definitely don't have kidney stones) My Urologist is only focusing on my bladder (which has not worried me) not my kidney. He is placing me on a long term course of low grade antibiotics to try clear the bladder. I might add that my bladder also never empties properly. I would like to know whether I should be seeking a second opinion. I really do not want to end up in hospital with a kidney infection every few months which has been the case of late.
Thanking you in advance.
Category: Urology
Expert:  urologyguru replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for allowing me to help you today. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions and positive feedback is much appreciated.
I agree with your urologists approach.
Kidney infections arise from the bladder. If your bladder is kept clean, then you will not get any kidney infections.
The changes that your doctor sees in the kidney may be from chronic bladder infections that have risen up to the kidney. Low dose antibiotics are a great way of keeping the urine sterile and allowing the bladder to heal and build up its natural defense mechanisms against bacteria.
I can additionally recommend urinary acidification with cranberry tablet supplementation. This'll make the urine more acid and bacteria will not live in this environment.
I hope this helps. Please ask any follow up questions you have until you feel satisfied with your answer. Positive ratings are much appreciated!
------------------
This answer is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this answer,Customerprovides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided here is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider.Customeris not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CALL 911 OR YOUR PHYSICIAN. If you believe you have any other health problem, or if you have any questions regarding your health or a medical condition, you should promptly consult your physician or other healthcare provider. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of an answer here. Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice. You should also ask your physician or other healthcare provider to assist you in interpreting any information on this site, or in applying the information to your individual case.
Medical information changes constantly. Reliance on any information provided from this answer is solely at your own risk.