Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Have not had sex a year. Very recently I noticed blood

Customer Question

have not had sex for over a year. Very recently I noticed blood in my semen. Quite alarming. Last PSA was 4.08 10 months ago I have scheduled another Psa and after I get results I will make a urologist appointment. Is this common or am I in a select few
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Do you have pain with this bleeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just noticed it after prolonged sexual abstinance
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Blood in the semen is actually quite common and is typically due to inflammation of the ejaculatory ducts or even a prostate infection called prostatitis. This is almost always due to a non-serious reason. Rarely, it can be due to prostate cancer. With your PSA being above 4.0, you do need to have the PSA repeated. If it is still above 4.0, then you should have a prostate biopsy done to rule out the presence of prostate cancer. Hope this helps.