deardr
deardr, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.
25541092

Around the age of 14 (now 37) I started waking with terrible

Customer Question

Around the age of 14 (now 37) I started waking with terrible pain in my lower back. It has continued ever since. Ended up in hospital many times. Took me a few years to work out that perhaps it was Hydronephrosis or Vasicoureteral Reflux..? It seems when I lay down the urine in my system is either not getting past my kidneys or is flowing back from my bladder up the Ureters. Possibly back into the kidneys? When I wake my bladder feels empty but after i stand for a while it seems to fill up and the pain subdides..
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really.. What do you mean?
have you had a workup investigating things like arthritis?
have you seen a rheumatologist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Only Urologist. By the time i would get to the hospital my bladder would have filled and been drained so nothing showed up in the ultrasounds etc.
Basically when i wake up there is nothing in my bladder. It feels empty. But there is intense pain in my lower back / kidney area. After i stand up and wait around ten minutes the pain subsides and my bladder feels full and i go to the toilet..
I think you have ankylosing spondylitis
I think this is related to your joints in your back
Next step is a rheumatologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no evidence of this affecting the bladder. The pain is not in my spine its at either side of my lower back
I know. Trust me I have seen this before
You need to see a rheumatologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason why it would suddenly start happening one day? Is it possible to refer this to another expert?
Sure I can opt out for you. hold tight
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Was micturating cystourogram or a CT scan obtained?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a CT Scan and Voiding Cystourethrography
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.
Did it show a reflux or any abnormality at kidneys or bladder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. As i said by the time they did them my bladder was empty and in turn the pain gone.
This happens every morning when i wake. If i have drunk lots of liquid before going to bed i wake up in extreme pain and have to sit / stand up to wait for it to drain..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is here a reason why this could possibly be happening? If so I will pay to have a scan done in hospital in the morning whilst i am still laying down..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*there
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.
This seems to be some rare abnormality however it is a good idea to get imaging done when you are laying down and may be repeat after you stand up erect.
I would also get x ray for lumbar spine to rule out any abnormality there along with both SI joints.
Best