Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had prostate cancer since 1998. I, have been taking

Customer Question

I have had prostate cancer since 1998. I, have been taking supplements, and two prescriptions for a number of years, which seems to have controlled the growth. My psa increased slowly from 2010 to 2013,
which my doctors have said I could live with. In the past 2 years my psa has accelerated, first from 16.1 to 19.7. My latest psa is now 27, which I understand is half of the real number. I, have been taking uroxatrol for 18 years, and Avodart for five years. I am 77 years old. My new urologist has scheduled a biopsy for
one week from now. He has instructed me to stop the avodart immediately. Another urologist in the group
told me a year ago to continue with the avodart because I had good results reducing my prostate size by
two thirds. Hesaid stopping avodart would cause it to again increase, and this makes it more difficult to do
a biopsy and get the best results. I, have not stopped the avodart, and I don't want to offend the doctor. By the way he is a radiological oncologist. Should he have prescribed an antibiotoc before the biopsy.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
So did you not ever receive radiation or any other treatment for your prostate cancer?