Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a bladder infection and was prescribed nitrofurantoin

Customer Question

I have a bladder infection and was prescribed nitrofurantoin mono-mcr 100mg. I take it twice a day and immediately starting the medication, my urine turned a bright green with a hint of blue in it. I'm on day 4 and the green urine is not as pronounced.
I asked my pharmacist and she said the discolor is usually a burnt orange or darker than normal. Should I be worried that mine was green?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. You should not be worried about the color. Some bacteria can actually make your urine turn bluish green. It is the bacteria turning your urine color, not the antibiotics. Hope this helps.