Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Hi,I have been having foam appear in the toilet and there is

Hi,I have been having foam appear in the toilet and there is lots of it.I have had tests done and show no proteinurea.But I am still concerned because there seems to be lots of bubbles building on top of each other filling the whole toilet bowl.I realize that masturbation and sex cause this foam to appear as well,but I still have foam appearing when I go.I had 2 tests done for the protein,i know this sounds crazy but can the labs be hiding info that it actually is protein in my urine from me ? Or could my doctor be hiding it from me,since im convinced that it is protein (what else could cause such foam for 7 months)Thank you.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 10 months ago.
HI

I am Dr.Tharun and I will be assisting you with your question today. I would like to have some more information regarding the question.

Do you have diabetes or hypertension?

Does it foam in all the toilet bowls - home, office, public toilets etc ?

Do you family history of kidney diseases?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No history of kidney diseases in family,it foams in anything even tried a plastic bottle and test tube when I shake it up it foams.I don't have diabaetes or hypertension.I have had ultrasounds of the kidneys twice,and it came back normal.Also all the other tests for kidney such as gfr.I have to note that I had an severe allergy to medication last year and my kidneys were affected acutely,but the doctor said it healed and that since I have no protein in urine showing up it wont be connected.But I don't know if he saying that to make me happy only.I have had epididymtitis years ago,and still feel the pain in my right testicle sometimes.

Hi George,

There is no classical symptom as foamy urine in urology practice, but it is more often than not related to kidney diseases. One of the causes of foamy urine has been stated as kidney disease leading to excess proteins in the urine. It is not always true and is correct in only 20-30 % of cases.
So rest 70 % of people will have no kidney disease or no reason for this.

Since your ultrasound and urine tests have come clear, we can assume you come in remaining 70 % .Never the less it would be better to have regular tests every 6 months just to be sure.As long as the tests are clear there is nothing to worry. This is maximum you can do from your side to stay clear of problems. Worrying would not help a lot.

Basically various factors decide foaming like Ph of urine, concentration etc. Holding urine for long time can be a cause sometimes as longer it is stored in the bladder, more bacteria can proliferate. Drink plenty of water. Try Vitamin C supplements which can alter the Ph of the urine and may resolve the problem.
There is no prescribed treatment as this condition is not a disease itself.

If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.