Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

On a physical exam, my doctor found microscopic cells in my

On a physical exam, my doctor found microscopic cells in my urine. A culture revealed some A-typical cells. I had a CT scan of my bladder, kidneys, etc, and only a small cyst was noted on one of my kidneys. An ultrasound of my baldder revealed that the bladder was emptying properly. The clinical exam did not reveal any prostrate issues. My last PSA was 1.34 in january and has been low for several years. The doctor will due a scope in November to take a closer look at the bladder, etc. I would like to know if this is common. I am 61.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Do you have any symptoms?

Was there any microscopic blood in the urine test?

Do you smoke ?

Are you hypertensive ?

Weight loss or loss of appetite ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Microscopic blood was detected. I do not smoke. I have had high blood pressure. With medication, my blood pressure runs 145 oevr 68. I do not have any symptoms. The blood is not visible in the urine. I have lost some weight, 24 lbs in the last two months. My weight is 378 at this time. I do not smoke and have never smoked. I do not drink. I do not work around chenicals.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Charles,

Microscopic blood can be because of cancerous origin from the urinary system. The aim of all these tests is to detect any early cancer and treat it as soon as possible.

The prescribed set of investigations for this purpose are urine exam, CT scan and cystoscopy. CT scan is excellent tool to detect any lesions in the kidney or the ureters, but not that accurate when it comes to bladder.
Cystoscopy is the gold standard when assessing the bladder.
So to complete the assessment ,cystoscopy is within the protocol of cancer assessment.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.