Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I approached my new family practice doctor during my wellness

I approached my new family practice doctor during my wellness exam about the possibility of me having low testosterone. I have experienced a decline in sexual drive and increase in fatigue over the last couple of years. I am a 33 year old married male. I had a Free Testosterone of 14 and a Total of 471. I am aware these numbers fall in the normal range for the tests, but is the total number not a little low for someone my age?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

No, those testosterone numbers are not low for your age. They are completely normal. If you have lowered sex drive and chronic fatigue with these testosterone levels, then you should have your thyroid function tested to rule out low thyroid levels as the cause of your symptoms. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this a conclusion my doctor will most likely arrive at or should I mention testing my thyroid to him? I also have my full CBC and Lipid results available right now if it would be of any other assistance related to my question for you.

If your doctor knows what he is doing, he will check your thyroid. if he doesn't check your thyroid, then you should kindly ask him what he thinks about checking your thyroid. Your CBC and lipid results likely would have no impact on this, especially if you were not found to be anemic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One followup question since you are a urologist. I urinate quite frequently. Typically, when I am at home especially, I urinate about 3-4 times per hour in the evening. I do not feel like I drink more liquid then average. I would say I do not drink more liquid than average in a day's time- approximately 64-80 oz total per day. I find I urinate most frequently in the evening.

Do you find yourself snoring at night?

Are you overweight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do snore very much anymore. I used to snore quite badly, but sometime ago I quit smoking and lost some weight. I am a little overweight, as I weigh 180 lbs at 5'6". I realize my last response was not really a question but a statement. I was wanting to ask if that was of concern and could it somehow be related to the issue in my original question?

Frequent urination at night can make you feel chronically tired because you are up at night a lot. But this does not lead to low libido.

Your primary doctor may want to have you tested for obstructive sleep apnea as this can cause you to produce more urine at night and make you get up to urinate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, but I should have been more specific about the timing. The urination happens in the earlier evening during the waking hours. I don't usually get up to urinate during the night, but I always have to go very badly when I do wake up in the morning, to the point that my bladder hurts in the morning quite badly.

In this case, I don't know what would be causing this isolated problem at night. You should see a urologist for an exam to see of they can see of you have something wrong with your bladder causing you to do this.