Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I am worried because I am unable to get an urge to urinate.

I am worried because I am unable to get an urge to urinate. Have had 2 prostate surgeries , urodynamics, etc and am generally healthy. I drink several glasses of water and nothing happens and after several hours have to catherise. What could be going on???

Dr. Y. : Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Dr. Y. : Are you diabetic?
Dr. Y. : Do you have a history of spinal cord injury?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am not diabetic. I did have surgery for a herniated disk but that was only recently. 40 years ago I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis but it hasn't bothered me since. I get around fine.

When I am cathing now my urine is dark. Is that an indication that I am badly dehydrated right now? The urine should be pale, right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am not diabetic. I had a heriated disk surgery but that was last summer. I get around fine. At night I have nocturia but drink a lot during the day.

Yes, your urine should be panel in color. If it is dark, this is an indication of dehydration.

Did your urodynamics study show that your bladder can still contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It can contract but only weakly. Should I give up and just cath? This happened only recently

Yes, if your bladder can only weekly contract, then you need to catheterize like your doctor is recommending. Unfortunately, there's no way to get the bladder to contract normally again.