Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

My urologist tells me I should "absolutely" void my prostate

My urologist tells me I should "absolutely" void my prostate at least once a week through sex or masturbation. I am 61 yrs old and have had an enlarged prostate accompanied with prostatitus in the past. I have a weak urine stream( it is slow).
I need to urinate a few times a day, sometimes over short periods of time. However, I do not need to get up at all during sleep time to urinate. Do you agree with my urologist? I have read the prostate is a gland; it is not a muscle that needs to be exercised; so we don't have to void it in order for it to remain healthy.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

No, it is not absolutely necessary that you need to ejaculate once a week with prostatitis. If you have prostatitis that is due to bacterial infection, then you need to be treated with a 30 day course of antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin. You may benefit from the addition of the medication such as Flomax to help relax the prostate so that you can urinate better and to relieve some of your urinary symptoms. I have never prescribed weekly masturbation to treat prostatitis. Being said, some men feel that their prostate symptoms get better when they ejaculate. You just have to see how you feel after you ejaculate. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do not have prostatitus now. I want to know, given a normal-size protate, is regular ejaculation necessary to maintain a healthy prostate. Some people think regular voiding is necessary because of possible carcinogenic agents that could increase one's risk for protate cancer. For instance, the carcinogens in second hand tobacco smoke settle in the prostate. At least that is what I have read. Hence the need to ejaculate regularly.

No, regular ejaculation is not necessary to maintain a healthy prostate. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere that says that men have to ejaculate on a regular basis. I see men all the time do not ejaculate at all and they do not have any increased risk for prostatitis or prostate cancer. Hope this helps.