Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My brother has been reviewd by his G.P and is on another couse

My brother has been reviewd by his G.P and is on another couse of antibiotics while he await scan due shortly. Infection/hydrocelle suspected and may require surger/drainage. What does this mean/what king of surgery?
HI

Usually hydroceles are not infected and its surgery involves opening up the hydrocele and draining the fluid out. Then its walls are inverted so that it doesn't form again. It is a simple procedure and can be discharged on the same day or the next day.

Sometimes the hydrocele can get infected( as in your brother's case) and forms pus inside.In that case pus has to be drained and then same procedure is repeated as mentioned above. Here the recovery may be little delayed due to the infection. Also chances of wound infection are more because of this.

So if the antibiotics does not resolve the infection, then surgery is the next option to get rid of the infection.
Scan will confirm the diagnosis whether there is pus formation or not.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, I’d be glad to help.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In view of his learning disability, would this be done under general anathetic? What could have caused this?

It could be either done under spinal anesthesia or general anesthesia. Both are equal, but will be decided by the anesthetist after examining.

There is no specific cause, but hydrocele can sometimes get infected. Risk factors include diabetes, advanced age and trauma to the testicle.

Dr.Tharun