Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have had 4 or 5 utis episodes over the past 9 monthss.

I have had 4 or 5 uti's episodes over the past 9 monthss. I just recently was treated and now am experiencing what seems like constipation over the past 8 days. Would this be connected? Often when I have a uti, I do have a change in my bowels.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

How are your bowels today?

Any blood in stools ?

Abdominal pain?

Are you taking any other medication?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marginal bowel action this morning - almost none so I did take another laxative.

I take an hour walk each morning and at one point I had unusual sharp pain in my belly area but then it subsided and I have no pain now. I did continue my walk.

I do take phenobarbital for the past 52 years because I have epilepsy. I have had no seizures since l967.

I am on no other medication.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jean,

Antibiotics can alter the normal gut flora and cause changes in the bowel movements as you are experiencing.

The immediate remedy would be to take care of the constipation and replenish the bowel flora back to normal. This can be done with pro-biotics - these are lactobacillus supplements. You can take pro biotic supplemented foods like yogurt. Or you can opt of special pro-biotic preparations like culturelle . This will take care of the bowel problem for the time being.
But the main problem is that you have recurrent UTI for which you take antibiotics and then land up in bowel problem.
Repeated UTI should be investigated with further tests like CT scan of the kidneys, cystoscopy , and urine cultures. Some reasons could be mass in the urinary system , stones, residual urine etc. Eliminating these factors can take care of the repeated infections. If no factors are found then proper culture should be done and antibiotics should be taken for proper time. Sometimes low strength antibiotics for 3 months can do the trick and prevent the re-infections. Low strength antibiotics has less chances of causing bowel upset. You can even have these supplements for long time.

It would also be advised to get a stool occult blood and routine test for completion sake as sometimes parasitic infections can be missed.

I hope this answers your question.Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Come back anytime and I’d be glad to help.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.