Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Question for Urologist MAIN ISSUES: After 50th birthday

Question for Urologist

MAIN ISSUES: After 50th birthday began having issues with diarrhea over a 4 week period, took OTC Products (Immodium - etc) with minimal results, doctor tested stools (ok) & urine (trace of blood in urine) & blood test (uneventful results) – doctor diagnosed PROSTITITUS and treated with anti-biotics (Ciprofloxcin 500 MG). Short-term improvement – solid stools returned, but diarrhea resumed after anti-biotic RX finished ~XXXXXscan which revealed :

Sigmoid diverticulosis

Two “incidental” adrenal tumors:
one 1.1 cm (benign) on surface
one small .8 cm (indeterminate due to size) IN (not on surface) of left adrenal gland.

GP recommended another CT scan in 3-4 months, to watch their size with CT scans annually to monitor growth up to 4 cm.

Antibiotics seem to have had positive impact on DV, solid stools returned, diet modifications also have helped (salads, brown rice & beans)

Over past few days : have developed symptoms of dehydration (very dry tounge) being awakened at night to drink fluids because of dehydration. Sleeping only 4-5 hours a night. Have daytime fatigue from lack of sleep.

Have experienced minor heart-palpitations over the past couple years, daytime & night-time, Prostititus seems to be under control, but long-term anti-biotic use is also getting difficult to continue.

Have colonoscopy re-scheduled for 9/13.

How much of an effect can adrenal tumors be having on my situation?
Should I go forward with the colonoscopy (and the preparation!) while I am experiencing the dehydration that wakes me up at night given the fact of the discovery of the tumors possible effect on my kidney? Is dehydration a symptom that my body may be creating kidney stones?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

How much of an effect can adrenal tumors be having on my situation?- It sounds like your adrenal tumors are noncancerous and are likely not leading to your symptoms that you describe.

Should I go forward with the colonoscopy (and the preparation!) while I am experiencing the dehydration that wakes me up at night given the fact of the discovery of the tumors possible effect on my kidney?- It all depends on how dehydrated you are. If you can't keep any fluids down, then you should talk to your doctor about postponing your colonoscopy. We need to make sure that your yard is perfectly clear and this indicates that you are well hydrated.

Is dehydration a symptom that my body may be creating kidney stones?- No, dehydration is not a symptom of kidney stones. Dehydration can lead to formation of kidney stones.