Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My husband has been told he needs to go on a six week course

My husband has been told he needs to go on a six week course of instillation of BCG into the bladder for his bladder cancer. Is this the only treatment he can have as he is not happy with the idea of having TB vaccine pumped into him?

Hello and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting with your question today.

BCG is the best available treatment for prevention of further cancer episodes in non muscle invasive bladder cancer .There are other medications available like mitomycin, epirubicin etc but they much inferior to BCG in preventing bladder cancer. It is a just a vaccine which stays inside the bladder for couple of hours and then it is flushed out.

Most of the patients tolerate this without any trouble.

At this point BCG is the best among the options available.

Chemotherapy is available but for advanced cases and with lot of side effects.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. It's been a pleasure working with you - come back anytime and I'd be glad to help.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your encouraging answer, now he won't feel so bad about going through with it.

Regards Rose