Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Hello, I have had some nonspecific pain (mostly

I have had some nonspecific testicular pain (mostly left testicle, but occasionally right testicle) now for several months--over a year now, in fact. I have had now 3 separate rounds of STD testing that have all come back negative (RPR, HIV, HSV, Go/Ch, etc) in the last year or so. Likewise I saw a urologist on several occasions a few months after this all started happening, as well as a dermatologist, who apparently ruled out any sort of STD as the cause. And the urologist said my urine sample showed no signs of a UTI for that matter, as well as a "normal" ultrasound. Eventually he just claimed epididymitis with no particular cause, did a month of antibiotics, and that was that. Pain has still subsisted.

In other words, the vast majority of the traditional causes for testicular pain have been effectively ruled out. I am just wondering if this could be in some way psychosomatic now, where since I "expect" that my testicles are in pain, that they DO end up hurting. I was worried about having some problems going on (still am, since I still have pain) but with so many ruled out I really don't know what could be possible causes at this point.

What am I missing here? If it's not an STD, not a UTI, and there's no torsion etc that show up in an ultrasound, what could possibly cause my testicular pain at this point?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Did you have an ultrasound done?

Have you ever had a hernia repair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes as I mentioned previously I did have an ultrasound performed that did not show any issues of torsion, inflammation, or anything like that.

Have not had a hernia repair.

I should also mention that I have an autoimmune condition, RA, and sometimes I wonder if the recurrent testicular pain may not be a symptom of that as well.

No, testicular pain is not a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis. If your exams and your ultrasounds have been normal, then your pain is likely due to nerve inflammation . This type of pain is very difficult to diagnose and treat. I would recommend that your urologist consider placing you in a course of daily anti-inflammatory such as meloxicam to see if this stops your pain.They can even put you on a course of a medication called gabapentin which is designed to stop nerve pain. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I actually take meloxicam already to help with my chronic joint pain and it has not improved the testicular issues, but I will follow up with the urologist about considering something like a gabapentin.

Yes, I think gabapentin would be an excellent option in your case. I wish you the very best.