Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

in 2011 September I had a penile implant pump installed in

Customer Question

in 2011 September I had a penile implant pump installed in FEB.2012 I developed an infection in May I had a boil erupt in my scrotum & had pump removed & installed a different type that just goes up & down {no need to pump} in June sense then all I have had is infections & pain when I urinate I have never been able to understand why this is going on I take all of my prescribed medications keep all my appointments
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Welcome to JA.

I would like to have some more info before I give you an answer.

Was the second pump inserted immediately after removing the first one Or there was some gap between the two?

Have you done an urine culture test?

Have you checked your prostate ?

How is your urine flow ?

Have you undergone a cystoscopy ?

Do you have to strain to pass urine ?

Do you have diabetes?

What did your doctor say about this ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there was no gap between removal yes had culture had prostate removed urine flow is painful had cystoscopy I believe don't strain urinate no diabetes they say it is result of having procedure done that is not very comforting I can not have sex it very discoscomforting

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

There are two ways to put a second implant.One is immediately during the removal itself.Another method is to wait for 2- 3 months and then do it.Immediate re-implantation is relatively new technique , but there are chances of missing a residual infection by this method.Almost 20 % of patients can have residual infection by this method.

Second method is more conventional where a gap of 8- 12 weeks is given for the infection to completely settle.Then a second implant is placed and this is much safer than the immediate approach.

Infection is considered quite serious complication in the prosthesis and usually warrants its removal for total eradication of the infection in almost all the cases.

Usually the first line of treatment is appropriate antibiotics. If it is not getting controlled with antibiotics, then removal of the implant is the only treatment to get rid of the infection.

As already a cystoscopy is done and other causes ruled out ,the implant has to be considered as the cause of the pain and infection.As it is already discomforting to perform intercourse with the prosthesis, and it has added problem of creating infections. It would not very early to think of removing the prosthesis to get a better quality of life without infections.Continuous infection is not a good thing to have and this affect the function of the kidneys and bladder. If I have to choose between infection and impotence, then impotence would be the obvious choice.
Not having infection is important medically.

I hope you get a clearer picture of the things going on and help you take decision.

If you need any further answer or want to clear any doubts,please feel free to ask.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told the reason I should have this other implant done immediately was to prevent scar tissue & I could have the pump done in 3 months

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

I agree with the concept to prevent scar formation. But scar tissues don't mature till end of 1 year. Earlier the practice was to wait for a year before second implant is done. But the surgery used to be very difficult due to heavy scar formation. Hence they started doing at the end of 2 -3 months, when the scar is not fully formed and not mature. So there was minimal damage and results were good.
Newer school of thought introduced the concept of putting the second implant without waiting to preserve the penile length and avoid a second procedure.
Waiting 3 months would not have caused any more harm than it is causing now I assume.

Dr.Tharun