Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Hi I recently had a penile swab which showed the following: A

I recently had a penile swab which showed the following:

A moderate number of leucocytes seen

A few epithelial cells seen

A few gram positive cocci seen

What dos this mean? What antibiotics do i need to take?

What symptoms do you have ?

Why was the swab test done ?

Did you have any sexual exposure recently ?

Was a culture test done on the swab?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Discharge after urination, some tenderness in the testicles, and an occasional burning during urination.

Symptoms started after foreplay with a girl.. My hands were inside her and then on my penis. There was no sexual intercourse.

I had a swab and a urine analysis. The results of the urine test are not back yet.

Is a culture test an antibiotic sensitivity test? I don't think this was done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Usually swab culture is done to identify the bacteria and the antibiotic effective against it.

Till the urine test comes back usually fluroquinolones like levofloxacin or cephalosporins can be given to cover the common bacterial infections. Once the urine tests come back antibiotics can be changed according to the report.
Leukocytes usually indicates that there is some infectious process going on. Gram positive cocci is a type of bacteria which can cause infections.

I hope this clears your doubt. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

I see now a bacterial culture was done which showed 'normal regional flora detected.'

The results of the Urine analysis were also apparently clear, although I haven't seen them.

I definitely have symptoms which weren't there before. What should i do now? I have 7 days worth of Doxycycline... should i take them?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Doxycycline is a drug which is given for sexually transmitted diseases even empirically(contacts with out symptoms).Its taken 100 mg twice for 7 days.

Urine analysis and culture are negative which is a good thing. But symptoms are to be given more importance as we have to treat the symptoms not the reports.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. So should i take the Doxycycline? I have 7 100mg tablets?

The recommended dose is 100 twice a day for at least 7 days. So if you can arrange 7 more that would be ideal.