Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

This is embarrassing but Im in a tough spot. Last night after

This is embarrassing but I'm in a tough spot. Last night after masturbation, within 20minutes, my left testicle began to swell. I immediately took some Advil, used ice and soaked my testicle in a warm bath. It did help and the swelling for the most part is gone. However, today, the part of the left side of my scrotum is purple where it was once red.(I am not in pain but it is somewhat discomforting & troubling my nerves) Is this epididymitis or orchitis? I've had epididymitis in my right testicle(Chlamydia) in my early 20's which caused a bacterial infection in my prostate which has been cleared up for the most part. I never had too much trouble with it since. Another thing I need to add is that I recently went to my Dermatologist on Thursday 9/29 & he prescribed me doxycycline for my acne. Should I start this course of antibiotics? Could it help my testicle? & Should I go to the ER?

Is the testicle still swollen ?

Do you have pain when you touch the testicle?

Was there trauma to the testicle when you were masturbating ?

Do you have any problems while passing urine ?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would say the swelling is down 98%, it is not painful to the touch. Slight discomfort in my groin but no pain. No problems passing urine. The issue that is the most unnerving is the purple color.

HI Anthony,

Since the discoloration appeared so suddenly after masturbation, most likely it is traumatic where you must have ruptured a small blood vessel in the scrotal skin causing the bleed and hence the change of color.

There is rare chance that it could torsion of testis ( twisting of testis), but it would be usually very painful and with lot of swelling.It is a good sign that the swelling has come down as well there is no pain. So chances of torsion are less.

Infection rarely happens so suddenly within 20 minutes.

It is very difficult to give you a single diagnosis over the internet.I can only give you the probabilities which can lead to such picture.

A clinical exam and an ultrasound scan is the only confirmatory way to diagnose what is this. So if you can reach a doctor who can examine the testicle , nothing better than it.It is always better to be safe.Most probably it is a small contusion, but better get it checked.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I normally would just go to the doctor but being so that today is Sunday and tomorrow labor day, I won't be able to call to schedule an appointment until Tuesday the earliest then the wait until the actual day of the appointment. Should I go to ER? or wait a day to see if the condition improves? Is there anything I can do at home to hasten the dissipation of the purple color?

BTW I am sure it is not torsion.

HI Anthony,

It is a tough call to advise whether to go to ER or not.The swelling has settled and there is no pain suggesting it is resolving. If it is a simple trauma and a small bruise there is no harm in waiting. Still it could be an infection after all.If it is an infection, then it is better to go to ER as waiting 2 days would be long.
There is no way to tell now whether it is an infection or not.Infection would have been at least painful to touch.So again it is in favor of a bruise.You may wait to see if it is improving or not. But if you are too anxious and worried , better to go to ER and clear it.

I am just clearing the facts for you, so that you can take a decision fast.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it were an infection would I have slight burning in my urine? What other symptoms should I look for? I am hesitant to start taking the antibiotics my dermatologist prescribed me

Infection - There would be pain and swelling, rise of local temperature over the scrotal skin. There could be burning in urine too.Fever, nausea and loss of appetite are signs of severe infection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me ask you this ; If I can literally touch the entire radius of the purple area, rub it and feel no pain, what would that tell you? & How long under normal circumstances would it take for the purple color to begin to fade?

If it is completely painless it suggests that there is no inflammation in the area and hence less suggestive of infection.

If it is blood, then it would take a week to 10 days to clear. It usually changes color from purple to green and then yellow and then fade off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah the testicle is painless. The only discomfort I have is is my groin and upper back of my tigh where the testicle cord runs.

Testicular infection rarely causes groin pain without affecting the testicle itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had epididymitis in the right testicle(Not the testicle in question here).

Another question Dr., Should I start the course of Doxycycline my Dermatologist prescribed for my acne or should I wait until I see my Urologist?

The dermatologist gave the antibiotic for the acne and hence there is no harm in taking it if he has prescribed it.It may benefit if it is a testicular infection too.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question, Dr. Tharun,

Since I did have epididymitis in my right testicle, if it were to reoccur it would happen in the same testicle not jump to the left, correct?

I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions. I will make an appointment to see my urologist as soon as he can see me. I hope it is indeed just a contusion.

There is no fixed rule that infection must return to the same testis only. New infection can affect either testes.