Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

hello. for the last several days Ive had trouble urinating

hello. for the last several days I've had trouble urinating and when i do it's weak stream. i'm also experiencing some lower back and side pain.my doctor ran a test for urinary tract infection but it came up negative. what might be going on here? thank you
HI

Did the doctor check for prostate enlargement ?

Was an ultrasound scan done ?

Do you have to strain to pass urine ?

Do you have to get up at night to pass urine ?

Do you have a sensation of incomplete urination ?

Do you have to go to the bathroom more frequently ?

Any recent medications ?

How are your bowel movement ?

Are you diabetic ?

Do you have spinal problems ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he has yet to check for enlargement./no ultrasound/no straining /no/no/no/am on a number of different meds/bowel movements ok/not diabetic/no spinal problems

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i might also add that no blood is seen in my urine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about a month ago a ct scan was done on my lower abdomen. this was one of the sentences in the finding: "there are multiple renal cysts bilaterally but no pelvocaliectasis or solid renal lesion evident" could you explain to me what that means in everyday english?

HI Marc,

One of the most common causes for reduced flow of urine at this age is enlarged prostate. Most often the symptoms start with weakened flow of urine which gradually worsens over a period of time.

There could be other causes too like infection, narrowing of the urine tube, back problems, diabetes etc.But you don't seem to have any symptoms suggestive of these issues.

We have do some specific tests to assess the urine flow and the size of the prostate gland.
Uroflowmetry measures the flow rate of the urine and will give quantitative measurement of flow rate. This baseline value can be used later to know whether the problem is improving or worsening.

Then a rectal exam and Ultrasound scan needs to be done to get an assessment of the prostate size.If the size is enlarged then medications to improve the flow as well as shrink the prostate can be started.Most of times the medications are effective in controlling the symptoms.

Renal cysts are nothing but small spaces filled with urine and is quite a normal finding as the age advances.As long as the CT scan reports it as simple cysts there is nothing to worry.Cysts are usually symptomless unless big in size.Also no solid lesion is present rules out complex cyst or any mass/cancer in the kidneys.Anyways cysts has no relation to weak urine flow.

I hope this helps you understand your problem better and make you aware of the options you need to discuss with your doctor.

Regards

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what might be causing the lower back and side pain? enlarge prostate? prostate cancer? and also, what is meant by "no solid renal lesions seen"?

HI

Prostate enlargement rarely causes back pain or side pain.

Advanced prostate cancer can cause back due to its spread into the backbone. Again it can diagnosed with rectal exam and a PSA test(blood test to screen for prostate cancer).

It is quite possible that this back pain might be different problem separate from the urinary issue.
No solid lesions means there is no masses or cancer in the kidneys.Also the cysts are simple in nature without solid elements.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more Q(i hope). possible lesion on the spine? if so, would not that have been picked up by the ct scan that was done?

CT scan would have picked up big lesions in the spine.But MRI is more accurate to pick small lesions and categorize the lesions.
If we are suspecting lesions due to prostate cancer then it can be detected on Bone scan- nuclear scan only.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could the ct scan have picked up small lesions as well?

There are different protocols for scanning different parts of the body to maximize the chance of finding an abnormality. So spine also has a different sequencing .So if the scan was not done specifically for the spine then it can miss lesions.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. thank you,doctor. i appreciate your input.

You are welcome.