Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Hi there, I was circumcised about 17 days ago due to phimosis

Customer Question

Hi there, I was circumcised about 17 days ago due to phimosis and only one of the stitches has come out and that happened almost a week ago. The stitches seem to be coming undone as some of the tails are quite long and seem to be partially dissolved, but I keep seeing all these people who said that there is a huge risk of "stitch tunnels" forming unless the stitches come out at 10-14 days.

My Urologist already said that he just let's them dissolve on their own, but I don't know, I'd love to hear another perspective.

Also if it is safe to leave them in, is there anything that I could do to encourage the stitches to dissolve quicker?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 10 months ago.
Hello

Welcome to JA.

Is there pain or any discharge from the wound?

Any other symptoms?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No real pain other than when I kinda just poke at the stitch tails, and the only discharge (if any) seems to be just lymph draining from where the frenulum was removed.

HI

It is normal to leave the sutures as it is, they are dissolvable ones and will find its way out.

There is nothing to worry and there would be no stitch abscess if proper cleaning is maintained.
Soap water cleaning will clear off these ends in some time.Don't poke or touch these tails repeatedly.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Doctor, it's now 6 weeks post op and it looks like 3 of the stitches still haven't dissolved. They're still pretty firm in there, I tried to give them a gentle tug to see if it's just loose and needs to come out, but my question is that isn't it a bit late to still have stitches in? My urologist is out of town for another 3 weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 9 months ago.
HI

If there is no pain or signs of infection, you can leave it alone. 6 weeks is slightly on the higher side, but some stitches may take a bit more time. Same stitch is used for the all the sutures. So these remaining ones will also come off like the other ones.

Dr.Tharun