Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

How do I tell if I have Acute urinary retention? I have not

How do I tell if I have Acute urinary retention? I have not been able to empty my bladder completely all day.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Are you actually able to urinate at all?

Did this just start today?

Do you take any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am able to urinate a tiny bit.

It did start today.

No, I don't take any medications.

I felt some pain when I was gently pressing where I believe the bladder is, directly above my penis. It was painful directly above, and slightly of in both sides.

I was able to urinate just now a bit more. When I press on the same 3 areas the pain is significantly less.

This sounds very conceding. If you are not urinating the normal amount like normal and you have pain above the pubic bone, this sounds like you may be in acute urinary retention. I suggest you go the ER right away to have a bladder ultrasound done and possibly a catheter placed to see if you have a bladder full of urine. You will then need to see a urologist if they do determine that your bladder is full to see why you have this problem. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I feel better now, and I expect I can slowly empty my bladder, would it be safe to wait until tomorrow to see if the issue is still there?

Yes, if you feel like your bladder is emptying and you are not in pain, then it will be OK to wait until tomorrow to see your doctor. I wish you well.
Hi. How are you doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Y,

I feel tremendously better today. No pain at all above the pubic bone, even when pressed. I am also urinating very close to, if not 100%, as I did a few days ago.

Thank you for your help!!

That's great! I'm so glad to hear you are doing much better. Thanks for the follow-up.