Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Dr. Y, UROLOGIST PLEASE, ASAP for a few questions. Can repeatedly

Dr. Y, UROLOGIST PLEASE, ASAP for a few questions.
Can repeatedly doing numerous but very brief valsalva maneuvers during a diagnostic ultrasound test cause or worsen an inguinal hernia?
Thank you very much for your prompt response.
Jon
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Y. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Y. :

Yes, doing repeated valsalva maneuver can make a hernia worse. But as long as the hernia can be redued back into the abdomen, there is no worry about this.

Dr. Y. :

If you can't get it back in and you have pain, then you need to go to the ER for an evaluation by a doctor urgently.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully, I don't have a hernia now but I had a right inguinal hernia repair on the right side four years ago and I was trying to make sure that I don't make anything worse on either side. Hopefully, I don't have a hernia on the left although I have had minor discomfort on both sides from time to time.

If I didn't have a hernia beforehand, could the repeated valsalvas CAUSE one to form?

And, where would the bulge be located?

I just returned from an ultrasound for venous insufficiency where the tech told me to repeatedly do (at least 15-20 times) a valsalva maneuver. I stupidly did as requested, but, I didn't hold any of them very long (for a few seconds) and, each time and I didn't really push very hard. I don't feel or see any bulging and don't have any significant discomfort since the procedure ended four hours ago.

But, I'm also 63 and don't have a strong "core."

Hopefully, you can reassure me that I'm "ok."

Jon

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

If I didn't have a hernia beforehand, could the repeated valsalvas CAUSE one to form? - This would be very unlikely. I do not think you have anything to worry about in having caused a new hernia with these maneuvers.

And, where would the bulge be located?- It could be anywhere from your scrotum to you lower abdominal area to your thigh

Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi,My apologies for the delay. I had to be away for a while.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm currently under a great deal of stress related to several potentially very serious medical conditions that I didn't even know that I had until the age 59 (four years ago.) Prior to then, I thought that I was in excellent health and felt great.

And, I just found out about my venous reflux in my leg last week when I had ultrasound performed to rule out DVT and the tech "incidentally" discovered the reflux. So, that's now causing a lot of concern for me.

Regarding the hernia concern, again, I had right inguinal surgery with mesh four years ago and have felt mild discomfort on the left side occasionally since then.

If I understand your response, if I do have a hernia, I should be able to visually see and feel a bulge. And, so far, I don't see or feel anything abnormal. So, hopefully, as you indicated, today's exam didn't cause anything to be concerned about, in that regard. If something does occur soon, I will try to contact you again. But, in the meantime, thanks.

Jon