Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Dr. Y, UROLOGIST PLEASE, ASAP for a few questions. Can repeatedly

Dr. Y, UROLOGIST PLEASE, ASAP for a few questions.
Can repeatedly doing numerous but very brief valsalva maneuvers during a diagnostic ultrasound test cause or worsen an inguinal hernia?
Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Dr. Y. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Y. :

Yes, doing repeated valsalva maneuver can make a hernia worse. But as long as the hernia can be redued back into the abdomen, there is no worry about this.

Dr. Y. :

If you can't get it back in and you have pain, then you need to go to the ER for an evaluation by a doctor urgently.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully, I don't have a hernia now but I had a right inguinal hernia repair on the right side four years ago and I was trying to make sure that I don't make anything worse on either side. Hopefully, I don't have a hernia on the left although I have had minor discomfort on both sides from time to time.

If I didn't have a hernia beforehand, could the repeated valsalvas CAUSE one to form?

And, where would the bulge be located?

I just returned from an ultrasound for venous insufficiency where the tech told me to repeatedly do (at least 15-20 times) a valsalva maneuver. I stupidly did as requested, but, I didn't hold any of them very long (for a few seconds) and, each time and I didn't really push very hard. I don't feel or see any bulging and don't have any significant discomfort since the procedure ended four hours ago.

But, I'm also 63 and don't have a strong "core."

Hopefully, you can reassure me that I'm "ok."

If I didn't have a hernia beforehand, could the repeated valsalvas CAUSE one to form? - This would be very unlikely. I do not think you have anything to worry about in having caused a new hernia with these maneuvers.

And, where would the bulge be located?- It could be anywhere from your scrotum to you lower abdominal area to your thigh

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi,My apologies for the delay. I had to be away for a while.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm currently under a great deal of stress related to several potentially very serious medical conditions that I didn't even know that I had until the age 59 (four years ago.) Prior to then, I thought that I was in excellent health and felt great.

And, I just found out about my venous reflux in my leg last week when I had ultrasound performed to rule out DVT and the tech "incidentally" discovered the reflux. So, that's now causing a lot of concern for me.

Regarding the hernia concern, again, I had right inguinal surgery with mesh four years ago and have felt mild discomfort on the left side occasionally since then.

If I understand your response, if I do have a hernia, I should be able to visually see and feel a bulge. And, so far, I don't see or feel anything abnormal. So, hopefully, as you indicated, today's exam didn't cause anything to be concerned about, in that regard. If something does occur soon, I will try to contact you again. But, in the meantime, thanks.