Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I had a bladder sling installed in March 2008. It seemed to

I had a bladder sling installed in March 2008. It seemed to work for a few months; but has been no use at all re: prevention of over active bladder issues after that. Since then I have had random lower back and abdomen pain and a few UTI's. The doctor who installed the device insists that it is properly in place and "doing its job"). Recently, I have had two episodes (one in April and another in August) of painful urination with blood in the urine. UA's showed NO infection in either case. My PCP says if the issue continues I should see a urologist. I do not want to go back to urologist #1 since he decided the sling is in place after only a cursory exam. If the sling has broken loose from its moorings and is wondering around inside my abdomen maybe it could be causing my symptoms?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

The sling cannot physically go inside your abdomen as is it located under the urethra in the vaginal vault.

Have you actually seen blood in your urine?

Do you have a history of smoking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there was blood at the time of the painful urination - particularly when the flow stopped.

I smoked for about 25 years; but stopped in 1986.

Have you ever had a CT scan or xray of your abdomen recently?

A sling does not treat overactive bladder symptoms. In fact, it can make those symptoms worse. A sling only helps to stop urine leakage associated with coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If so, it would have been over 6 years ago and not related to this issue.

You definitely need to have a CT scan done to see what is causing your pain and bleeding.

Blood in the urine can be an indication of a severe infection, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. It could also be a sign of erosion of your sling material into the urethra. This is why it is important to get in to see a urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.