Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

What are the weird looking bumps on my labia minora?

Recently I went to the doctors because I noticed some weird looking bumps that are similar to pearly penile papules on my labia minora that seem irritated whenever I mess with them to look at them. I was told that the skin was just irritated from a bacterial infection that I had at the time. Its been a week or two since I took the antibiotic for the bacterial infection and the bumps are still there. I am freaking out. I'm only 17 and had been sexually active once. Please help!

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you. Can you post a picture of this area so I can see what you are referring to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This looks like genital warts. You need to get in to see your gynecologist for an exam and they may either need to prescribe a cream such as podophilox or they may need to surgically remove them with a laser to get rid of them. They will also need to do a PAP smear to make sure you don't have any concerning changes on the cervix as the virus that can cause genital warts can cause cervical cancer and you will need to be screened for this yearly. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, do they go away because I'm really freaking out and they don't look exactly like it. I wish I could send you a picture of what it actually looks like, but they look similar and its also only on one side.

No, warts will not go away on their own. They continue to get worse if they are left untreated. Based on the picture you showed me, this is probably most likely warts and you need to get in to see a gynaecologist for an exam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could it also be vestibular papillomatosis?

That is possible, but the picture you showed me is most likely warts. Warts is a much more common diagnosis that papillomatosis.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do doctors treat warts?

Either with topical cream such as podophilox or by freezing or lasering them off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can they reappear after?

Yes, there is always a chance that they can reappear in the future as you are infected with the virus for life. There's no way to get rid of the virus. You can only get rid of the warts if they appear time to time. But there is a chance that the warts will never reappear again. You can only wait and see what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently got the first shot for the HPV virus. Can that help prevent them from reappearing?

No. Once you are infected, the virus vaccine is no good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I once read that within two years your body can eventually fight off the virus. Is that true?

Yes, this is why you may not necessarily redevelop an infection in the future. Your body will eventually work to fight this off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do to help my body fight it off?

You can decrease your chances of worsening infections by having protected sex with unknown partners.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I have the virus can my partner have it too, even though he has no symptoms of it?

Yes. He most likely has the virus as well and there is nothing he can do except to have any warts removed that may appear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible for his body to have fought it off without him having any symptoms?

Yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How is it that he has no symptoms but I do?

He just may not have broken out with a flare yet.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible he can go without having a flare?

Yes. Not everyone has to have a flare.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it normal for the warts to hurt? And I also put apple cider vinegar on it to see if they would turn white but they didn't turn white. So could they still possibly be warts?

Yes. Warts can hurt.

You just need to see a gynaecologist for an exam as you are not going to be able to make this diagnosis by yourself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I have been to an obgyn and she said that the skin just looked irritated and the bacteria infection hasn't totally gone away. Also the bumps are appearing in rows close together and again its only on one side.

Well, you should go back for a repeat exam since this is persisting to get you the help you need.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible to get it in your mouth and if so what are the symptoms?

No. That is not possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, could it be herpes?

No
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are warts soft or hard and do they come in clusters or rows? And can vestibular papillomatosis be sensitive or have any pain?

Warts can come in any shape or size. Papillomatosis can also come in any shape or size and can hurt if they grow large. You can worry yourself to death about this if you keep guessing what this may be. You just need to see your gynaecologist again for a repeat exam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm just freaking out because I have to wait to go to the doctors on Monday. Could the bumps also be my vagina maturing?

I don't know because I can't see them. You just need to see your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is a better picture of another example

That still doesn't help the situation as it is not an exam of what you have. You need to see your doctor for an exam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anyway I can send a picture to you through email because I have a picture of it but its on my phone.

No. The only way you can post is in this chat box. But a photo is not going to replace an exam by your doctor anyway as I likely will not be able to see it well enough.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible for it to be on the inside of the vagina and if so how will the doctors be able to treat it since its sensitive.

Yes. It can be in the vagina. It can be treated with any of the methods I described above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I'll be sure to come back if I have anymore questions.

No problem. Thanks.