Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Recently I have had to urinate 3 to 4 times per night -past

Recently I have had to urinate 3 to 4 times per night -past has only been once. Although I am 76 I do not have incontinence - urge or leakage - have had all the tests diabetes, urine etc. This condition interrupts my sleep pattern & through the day I know often feel "full"
A friend suggested I inquire about an estrogen cream ....would this help? I need my sleep
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 11 months ago.
HI

Welcome to JA.

How is your urine flow?

Do you have to strain to pass urine?

Have you ever checked your prostate?

Any previous prostate surgeries?

Ever saw blood in urine ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am a female - urine flow is good - no strain

Hi Gloria,

I am sorry about the prostate thing.

I would like to have some more info in that case.

Are you overweight ?

Do you smoke or drink alcohol?

Do you have anxiety or stress?

Any cardiac issues?

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Answer is no to all questions ...5'1" weigh 128 BP 112/62

HI

Diabetes, cardiac issues , drugs, infection and increased water intake are the usual culprits for this issue.Since we have ruled out most of the causes with blood and urine investigations we can go to rarer cause.
Gynecological issues should be ruled out like fibroids compressing on the bladder , cystocele etc.Scans can rule out this.
Another rare cause is Over active Bladder.There is no specific reason to develop this condition.It can appear at any age.

If that is the case then the treatment starts with life style modifications like restriction of water, exercises, weight loss and avoidance of tea, coffee,smoking , alcohol etc.
Kegel's exercises are helpful as it helps you retain more urine in the bladder.
Bio- feedback exercises are also useful to improve the bladder control and can be tried.

If all these measures fail to give benefit, then medications can be tried.There are lot of medications for this condition, some of which are vesicare, detrusitol, trospium and myrbetriq.

Desmopressin spray is a medication which decrease urine production and will take care of this night time frequency.

There are other recent advances like neuro-modulation and botox,but it is reserved for stubborn cases only.

I hope this gives you some options to think about to tackle your problem.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you - is the Estrace cream an option or should I try the spray?

I do not wish to take a medication that will give me dry mouth etc

Hi

Estrogen cream is helpful in recurrent urinary infection and dryness o f vagina.This may not be very helpful in reducing the night time frequency.But there is no harm in trying it.But if you have any history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer you should avoid it.

Most medication to control this symptom may cause dry mouth, but they are temporary and may go away with time.Newer drug Myrbetriq is supposed to have lesser side effects.
Desmopressin Spray can be tried but there is serious side effect of decreasing your sodium levels with it.Dietary sodium(salt) has to be increased when you are on this spray.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you - you have been most helpful - one more

Would the other medication with dry mouth be taken nearer bedtime or through the day?

It can be taken near bedtime as the problem is predominantly nocturnal.

Dr.Tharun