Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Hello, Great job you guys are doing. Just about 24 hours

Great job you guys are doing.

Just about 24 hours ago, I observed my scrotum was swollen. Earlier in the day, I was at the gym and used the Turbocharger vibrator (Dont know if this has to do with it). I took pain reliever and went to bed.

When I woke up, it remained swollen and my penis shrinked. Later in the day, my penis also started becoming swollen.

I am quite confused now as to what this is.

I just got antibiotics (amoxicillin) incase it is an infection.

I am quite worried.. Please help

Welcome to JA.

Do you have any pain in the scrotum or the penis ?

Fever ?

Problems while passing urine ?

Can you feel the testis in the scrotum - are they also swollen or painful?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Slight Pain... very minimal in the scrotum and penis.

No fever.

No problem passing uring.

Yes I can feel the testis... doesn't apply swollen but seems there is a lot of fluid in the scrotum when i feel it...

Penis is also swollen and shrinked

HI Bisi,

There should be some explanation for this condition.

One is hernia - there is a connection between the abdomen and the scrotum which opens up due to weight lifting and straining.This can transfer abdominal fluid into the scrotum and make it swell.It usually go back once we lie down.

Second is Infection- some say that the urine can get refluxed into the vas deferens due to straining and this can lead to testicular infection.But in that case testicles would be swollen and very painful to touch.

Third is muscle strain which causes inflammation and fluid collection around the muscles.As the lower abdominal muscles continue into the groin, this fluid can gravitate into the scrotum causing the swelling.

Hernia is a surgical problem and needs to be treated with surgery.Infection needs antibiotics.Muscle strain requires rest ,anti-inflammatory drugs and hot fomentation to the region.

Keep the foot end of the bed little elevated so that the swelling reduces faster.Wear a tight inner-wear to give proper support to the scrotum.
You can take the antibiotics to be safe.It is very difficult to a give a firm diagnosis just based on the symptoms. Best option would be see a doctor get it examined to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this helps you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Doctor.

I have been doing some good amount of weightlifting and your answers sure resonate.

I want to know what you mean by hot fomentation and how I can carry that out?

Also, at what point do I know whether it is either of this 3 options listed?

Would be safe to take an anti-inflammatory drug alongside the antibiotics?

Hot fomentation is nothing but a cloth soaked/ squeezed in warm water and kept on the affected region.It increases the blood supply by the warmth and helps healing.

Only clinical examination will confirm the diagnosis.

Infection will obviously have fever, local warmth, redness, tenderness to touch like symptoms.

Muscle trauma will gradually improve with rest and anti-inflammatory drugs.

There is no harm in taking antibiotics with anti-inflammatory drugs.Just take a antacid to avoid acidity.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good day Doctor,

Thanks for your help.

I have bought the antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and antacid as suggested. I must say my scrotum size has reduced greatly.

However, I am concerned about my penis.

It appears it has reduced and I find it difficult to maintain an erection for a while as before.

What do you think might be the cause of this.

Your clarification would be appreciated.

HI Bisi,

It is just taking some time to recover. The functioning may not be proper when there is inflammation. Wait for the inflammation to settle down. Complete the medications. It may take up to a week to 10 days to regain the old status. It is too early to get worried about erections after an infection.