Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Female, age 61. Last Saturday I had frequent urination and

Female, age 61.

Last Saturday I had frequent urination and burning. The frequency and urgency progressed throughout the day accompanied by lower abdominal pain. Starting around 5:30 PM there was a two hour period where I passed or wiped small blot clots. The bleeding ended as soon as I started drinking cranberry juice.

A visit to my local clinic on Monday resulted in a normal urinalysis. This is Friday, almost an entire week, and I still have burning externally along with frequent urination. There is some pain while urinating although not all the time.

I have never had these symptoms before and am concerned because my father had bladder cancer (he was a non-smoker). I don't want to be an alarmist but would like to know how long I should expect these symptoms to continue (if it is a UTI) or pursue an ultrasound or cystoscopy. I'm uninsured.
HI

Do you smoke ?

Are you hypertensive ?

Do you have flank pain?

Any other medical illnesses/?

Do you take any blood thinners?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you smoke ? NO

Are you hypertensive ? NO

Do you have flank pain? NO

Any other medical illnesses/? ARTHRITIS, FIBROMYALGIA

Do you take any blood thinners? NO

HI

Visible Blood in urine should be followed up with an ultrasound and cystoscopy.There is no waiting period as it is the basic protocol to get an urine cytology, ultrasound and a cystoscopy in any patient with blood in urine.

You should wait for the infection to settle before you go for a cystoscopy.Otherwise urine cytology and ultrasound could be done right away.Ideally a CT scan should be performed.But since you have a probable cause of blood in urine(infection) and no high risk factors, ultrasound would be fine as an initial investigation.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does it typically take for the infection to settle down?

It depends on the type of infection and your health status.Normally it should settle down in a week to 10 days.

Dr.Tharun