Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I am 67 and on Flomax and a drug to reduce the size of the

I am 67 and on Flomax and a drug to reduce the size of the prostate. I noticed for the first time I had blood in my semen. It is still there after about three weeks. None in the urine and no pain or discomfort any where. My ejaculate is way down since I have been on the medication and it takes much longer for orgasm. How long should I wait to see if the blood goes away on it's own. Should I avoid sexual relations for a period of time?

Have you checked your PSA ?

Any pain while ejaculation?

Are you on any blood thinners?

Do you smoke?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PSA is 1.5.

No pain anywhere.

Baby Asprin

Do not smoke

Hope this is helpful. I do plan to see my doctor but was hoping it would go away on it's is the third week now.

Blood in semen also known as hematospermia is most often due to non specific inflammation of the prostate or the seminal vesicles. It is a harmless condition and almost always settles of its own in several weeks.

Only if it persists beyond several weeks further tests like PSA, Urine Cytology and trans rectal ultrasound, CT scan is prescribed.Rare causes are prostate cancer, seminal vesicle mass or calcification etc.

You may have this problem for little longer than usual as you are on aspirin which is a blood thinner.In most instances this problem does not require any active treatment.

So there is no harm in waiting for 3-4 weeks before consulting your doctor.Sexual relations can be continued.