Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hello, Im currently 23 years old, I had to have a testicle

Hello, I'm currently 23 years old, I had to have a testicle removed when I was a child, and I was interested in getting a testicular implant. Can you please tell me what this would involve, for example how long the surgery would be, whether I would have a long recovery time, etc. Also, is this something that the insurance generally covers? And do you recommend the surgery?

Thanks,

Dr. Y : Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Dr. Y : What condition was the testicle removed for?
Customer:

Hi, it happened when I was a baby so I don't know all of the details, but I believe that I had a hernia and for some reason the testicle had to be removed.

The surgical implant of a prosthetic testicle involves placing a fluid filled prosthetic device into the scrotum through an incision that is near your pubic bone on the front of your abdomen. This is typically not covered by insurance as it is considered a cosmetic surgery.It will take a full 4 to 6 weeks to heal your incision but you can probably go back to light-duty activity within just a few days of the surgery itself. I would recommend the surgery if you are very self-conscious about having a missing testicle. However, this is strictly a cosmetic surgery and you can live the rest of your life without a prosthetic testicle without any problems. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.