Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hello. Im a 54 year old male. On July 1/13 I developed epididymitus

Hello. I'm a 54 year old male. On July 1/13 I developed epididymitus and was prescribed Cipro by the GP. After 6 days, it wasn't feeling better and the GP switched me to Doxicycline for 10 days. Although it improved after this treatment, the condition returned and I was prescribed one doseage of supra plus 14 days of doxicycline by the urologist. An ultra sound confirmed the condition as epididymitus also. Now one week later the chord next to my testicle feels inflamed again. My urologist is not available. I'm leaving the country for 2 weeks. If I go to a GP, what is generally the best antibiotic of choice at this point and for what duration? I understand that this condition can be difficult to treat.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Did your doctor ever do a urine culture and identify the bacteria and what antibiotics it was sensitive to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they did an urinalysis for std's and the results were negative

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
A urinalysis does not detect bacteria that can cause the infection. It only screens for infection,

Did they not do an official urine culture?

Are you at risk for STDs?

What medicines do you take daily?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no; they did not do a culture. They did the ultrasound and checked for STDs. Ultrasound showed epididymitis. Physcial exam confirmed the same. I have been at risk for STD's but I have had a full std check and am hiv negative.

I currently take wellbutrin, pantaloc and Lipitor.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes, it can be very difficult identify the bacteria that causes epididymitis. However, every attempt should be made to try to identify the bacteria through at least a urine culture. This sounds like something your doctors have never done. Even if your urinalysis was negative, sometimes, the bacteria can be identified on the culture. I would recommend that your doctor do a formal urine culture. Doxycycline is a good choice of antibiotic if you are at risk for STDs. However, this can take 3 to 4 weeks to completely treat and you may need a four week course of antibiotics to cure this. You should also be taking something like ibuprofen to decrease the inflammation associated with the epididymitis. You need to discuss this with your doctor. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you. XXXXX do believe they tried to do a culture but it came back negative.

My concern is can I continue to take Doxicycline after being on and off it (5-7 days off between courses) without a risk of the bacteria becoming resistant to it; or, is a 4 week course of it at this point ok?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is OK to continue the doxycycline even if you came off it for a few days. But you really need to check with your doctor who is treating you before making any treatment decisions.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.