Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

A week ago I was playing with my 3 and 5 year old children,

A week ago I was playing with my 3 and 5 year old children, I had each of them lifted up in my arms and doing squats (silly I know, but they enjoy it). We did this for a half an hour or so and then continued playing. The next morning I woke up and my Testicles ached, both were sore - like a dull pain. I left it for a few days and the pain got better, it would seem to switch sides. I also started having the urge to urinate more often. I went to the doctor yesterday as this concerns me. He diagnosed me with Epididymitis; however, in reading it says it is usually caused by and STD! He never checked me for anything like this, but prescribed me Ciproflaxin (I think thats how its spelled). Today I am going for a scrotal ultrasound. What's going on?

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Not all epididymitis is caused by an STD. It can be caused by a bacterial infection of the urine as well.

Did your doctor do a urine culture to identify any bacteria? What did it show?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No culture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Sorry for the delay as I am currently seeing patients in clinic.

If they have not done a culture, they need to in order to identify the bacteria that may be causing this infection. The heavy lifting and squatting you did may have stirred up some bacteria in your prostate and caused this infection. Cipro is a good choice of antibiotic to cure this, but it can take 2-3 weeks of therapy to completely get rid of all the bacteria. if your doctor is not willing to do a culture, then you should consider seeing a urologist for help in getting this treated. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the heavy lifting and squatting could have done this? Initially both of my testicles ached, however, it has pretty much subsided. Only my right testicle is tender if I bump it or touch the back. I have OCD as well, so I may also be checking it more than I should. Could that cause the problem to linger longer? As I said, everything else feels normal - other than I had to pee constantly for a few days. He checked me over and said that there were no signs that anything else was a concern.

Yes, the heavy lifting may have precipitated this, but it may also just be a coincidence. This problem can linger for several weeks and this is why a long course of antibiotics is needed. Based on your exam, it sounds like you are going to be fine.