Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Am a physically fit very active 78 year old male. History

Am a physically fit very active 78 year old male. History of prostate cancer (radiation)
colon cancer (surgery) 14 and 15 years ago. In recent months have a history of
frequent urination...at least every two hours night and/or day. A cystoscopy 10 days
ago showed no blockage in the urinary tract. A day following the cystoscopy urine retention, catheter installed, removed a week later, unable to urinate enough to clear the
bladder and catheter put in again. Tenative diagnosis is bladder muscle damage unable
to push urine out. Your thoughts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Did you have to struggle to urinate prior to your cystoscopy?

Have they considered doing urodynamics to evaluate the bladder muscle function? This test is like an EKG Goethe bladder to look at the function.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, a little struggle, but certainly never really emptied the bladder

for the past few years. Thus having to urinate every 2 hours. Tho,

sometimes 3 hours without urination.

No the urodynamics test has not been mentioned thus far.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.
In men who have had radiation for prostate cancer, this can lead to the development of overactive bladder symptoms even years down the road. This may be the cause of your urinary frequency, which is from bladder spasms. If you could urinate prior to the cystoscopy, then your inability to urinate at this time is likely due to swelling of the prostate from the recent instrumentation. I would recommend that your urologist consider placing you on Flomax to help relax the prostate and you should have a catheter placed into the bladder for a couple weeks to let the swelling go down. It is not very likely that the bladder muscle has been completely damaged to the point where you cannot urinate. But if you still cannot urinate after a few weeks, then your urologist should do a test called urodynamics which is like an EKG for the bladder to see if there is still enough muscle function to get the urine out. If there is not enough muscle function, then you may need to catheterize yourself to get the urine out. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The cystoscope test indicated that the ureter was clear of any obstruction so flomax or rapaflo, as I understand would be of little

help. There was bleeding after the cystoscope and more than I remember (from 15 years ago)---plus after 3 trys the 3rd catheter

worked..maybe you're on to something.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.
Yes. This urinary obstruction almost certainly is from swelling of the prostate. Even if there was no obvious instruction on cystoscopy, you would still benefit from Flomax as this can help relax the musculature of the prostate so that you can urinate sooner. I would highly recommend this
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.