Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

i went to urinate about ten minutes ago.i urinated a lot of

i went to urinate about ten minutes ago.i urinated a lot of blood.this has never happened before
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Were there clots in it ?

Do you have pain while passing urine?

Did you strain to pass urine ?

Any prostate problems ?

Are you on blood thinners?

Do you smoke ?

Are you hypertensive?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do not smoke,no prostate as far as i know,no clots,occasional pain while urinating sometimes.no blood thinners only advil,do not have hypertension

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Roy,

Blood in Urine - At your age it has to be checked for any cancer in the urinary tract - kidneys or the bladder.

Although the most common cause of blood in urine at this age is from the prostate gland, a thorough check up has to be done to rule out cancer as the cause of the bleed.

Usually an urine test and an abdominal scan is done along with serum PSA.Sometimes a CT scan and cystoscopy is done to find a cause.

If it is from the prostate, then it can be controlled with medications.If it is infection, then antibiotics will take care of it.

Any cancer detected will need treatment according to its merit.

You need to see your doctor as soon as possible.If you find it difficult to pass urine ,go to ER immediately.Sometimes clots can clog the urine passage and block the urine flow.This could be quite painful if you wait for long.

I hope this answers your question and helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.