Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Hello, A wk ago I was having sex with my girlfriend during

A wk ago I was having sex with my girlfriend during which I pushed harder and heard a 'pop' sound (like cracking your knuckles). I immediately felt pain at the top base of the penis. It still hurts and aches quite a bit in this area. I am 99% sure it is damage in the penile suspensory ligament.
Assuming this is the issue, and it doesnt need surgery to fix, how long would this take to heal? How can I aid the healing?
If surgery is needed, would a Urologist be the one to preform? How difficult and effective is this surgery?

Thank you
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

You should not assume that your diagnosis is correct without seeing a urologist or you can end up regretting this in the long run if you made a wrong diagnosis.

There is no surgery to fix a suspensory ligament. There is nothing you can do for a suspensory ligament injury except for to give it 2-3 months to heal.

But you should see a urologist to make sure that this is not a penile fracture that you may be dealing with as this can be treated with oral medication such as Trental to limit the scarring that can occur. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your answer, Im fairly sure its not a fracture. but I plan on seeing a Dr but must wait a few weeks for my appointment, and likely longer for a urologist.

When you say "give 2-3mths to heal", what should I be doing in that time to help heal? Abstain from sex for the entire time? Ice? Heat?

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I would recommend that you abstain from intercourse to prevent hurting whatever you injured any further. When you are pain-free, this typically indicates the healing is completed. I don't think ice or heat is going to help any. You can take ibuprofen to help decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions. Thanks for your patience as I was in the operating room all day.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.